DR. MARGARET JAMAL WRITES…
After scanning recent headlines concerning same-sex marriage, one that caused considerable discussion included the following statement, “Obama also called for repealing the Defense of Marriage Act, a federal law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.” This discussion led me to simply pose the questions, 1) Who really should have the right to define marriage? 2) How will this decision impact our culture and society as a whole?
DR. AARON JAMAL WRITES…
“The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the conscience of the state. It must be the guide and the critic of the state, and never its tool. If the church does not recapture its prophetic zeal, it will become an irrelevant social club without moral or spiritual authority.”
Martin Luther King, Jr
I believe that Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. provided a profound warning to the church about becoming the tool of the state. The threat of becoming “an irrelevant social club” is pressing closer and closer towards become a reality. There have been a lot of voices from the church regarding comments made by President Obama placing an endorsement for same sex marriages.The acceptance of same-sex marriage was more in line with marriage being a universal model for bonded relationships than an endorsemnt or preference of this model.
On the other hand, I believe there are greater moral and spiritual questions that should be addressed within Christian families rather than having forums about whether or not to vote for President Obama or Mitt Romney. For example:
Marriages are still headed toward divorce at alarming rates!
- What can we do to reduce that number and to provide the needed support and solutions to turn discontented and contentious relationships in to harmonious and fruitful models?
- How do we recapture the romantic zeal that was so appealing to young people that they targeted their goals and dreams toward getting married?
- Has the Church lost its ability to be the moral conscious of our current state or culture?
- If the Church was more effective at addressing the problems that lead to divorce, would more young people be entrenched with the current Man/Woman model?
- What will people say when the divorce rates increase as a result of divorce numbers from the Gay community being added to the data?
- How do you trace generational and genetic family lines for everything from economic trends to, health issues, to core values if you do not preserve current family structure models?
- How do same sex models affect current laws that protect heirs?
We plan to host an online discussion on our next Blog Talk Radio broadcast.
We are interested in including your feedback as well. Please take a few minutes to complete our brief poll below and plan to join the I Do Me 2 online discussion Tuesday at 8:30 PM CST.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE BROADCAST TUESDAY NIGHT. CALL IN NUMBER IS (213) 943-3673.